Coping with exam stress
Your accountancy exams can be a stressful time, but if you can try to manage your stress you are not only more likely to perform better on the day, but also get through the whole experience in better shape.
Living through revision
- Diet – Most importantly, remember to eat! Then remember to eat well – not quick snacks, but proper meals. Food is the fuel your brain needs, and drinking lots of water will also help your brain to work more efficiently.
- Sleep – It is vital that you sleep properly through your revision period so that your brain is rested. If you are having trouble sleeping, avoid working late into the night and try traditional methods, such as a glass of hot milk before you go to bed.
- Don’t forget to live! – Finally, the best bit of advice that anyone doing revision can be given is ‘don’t forget to live.’ Sometimes people who are revising get so uptight and worried about the exams that they practically forget to breathe!
Give yourself a chance to relax…
Several things have an impact on relaxation:
- Time – Schedule time off and schedule your study time sensibly.
- Ambience – Know what helps you to relax before you sit down to study
- Support – The support BPP offers is discussed below.
You will also require the support of your friends and family. You may have to ask them to help out with things such as creating a good study atmosphere, giving you time to study and so on…
If it feels like it’s all a bit too much at certain points, here are some relaxation exercises for you to try:
- Lie on the floor and tense up all your muscles. Then, working from your toes upwards, relax each one in turn until you are completely relaxed.
- Run a bath with warm water and relaxing aromatherapy oils. Play your favourite piece of relaxing music. Get in the bath… and relax
- Make sure you are the only person in the house. Choose some rock or dance music and play it loudly. Headbang or dance away your frustrations until you can relax and study.
And finally……….support from BPP
If you are booked on a BPP course and you are tense about your study, do not suffer in silence. Your BPP tutor offers support for when you do not understand an element of your studies. Contact, discuss, relax…